Luddite Chenin 2021
Our 10th vintage . . . hooray!! We continue to polish our established house style that works for our Chenin Blanc. Keeping it simple, crush, destalk and allowing it to naturally ferment in open fermenters. This vintage saw the added excitement of our new Chenin block bearing its first real crop and then the pressure to see if it would be good enough to make it into the final blend.
Once fermentation starts, we punch down twice a day to keep the ferment homogenous. After fermentation, we seal the bins and allow post maceration for as long as we can sleep comfortably without wondering what’s happening inside the bins. This vintage took 21 days on skins before our nerves broke.
We press directly to barrel with as much sediment as possible. This allows the wine to fill out and add texture with our regular batonnaging.
The Chenin is an outlet for the geek in Niels, allowing him to remember himself as a stamp collector. Precise, patient but allowing the wine to speak for itself. The 2021 vintage is leaner than most years due to a higher natural acidity which seems to be coming from the new “Dog Block” portion and this balances out the slightly riper fruit than previous vintages. This wine still remains a very thought-provoking wine.
Grapes were sourced from:
- Luddite Farm House Block harvested on 9th February 2021
- Luddite Farm Dog Block harvested on 9th February 2021
Average analysis of fruit at harvest
21.0° Balling, TA – 7.5 g/l, pH – 3.3
- Appearance: Rich, pale straw in colour.
- Nose: Spicy, lime blossom and greengage. After a while, nose opens up to give hints of white fruit and the slightest touch of flor.
- Palate: Fresh lean entry. Great palate weight and mouth feel with white fruit and dry peaches. The finish is long, lean and salty. minerality.
Analysis of the wine
- Alcohol: 12.35%
- pH: 3.4
- TA: 6.3 g/l
- RS: 2.9 g/l
1 900 bottles of this vintage were produced.
Tastings notes dated 7th March 2022.Download PDF